Public Service Advertising Resources:
As Residents Transition Home, Red Cross Does the Same
Update as of 4 p.m.:
All residents at the American Red Cross shelter in Creekside Junior High School (65434 Hwy 41, Pearl River, LA) have found other accommodations or space at shelters closer to their homes. The shelter has now closed. The following shelters are open for returning evacuees and people who cannot reside in their homes due to power outages, flooding or structural damage.
- Larose Civic Center (307 E. 5th Street, Cut Off, LA)
- Thibodaux High School (1355 Tiger Drive, Thibodaux, LA)
- At Capacity: Hope Haven (1101 Barataria Blvd., Marrero, LA)
More shelters are expected to be opened in the coming days. For a complete list of shelter locations, please call 1-866-GET-INFO.
The American Red Cross of Ventura County would like you to know what we have already done and are doing to pre-stage, pre-deploy and pre-position for Hurricane Gustav.
- Local Red Cross disaster volunteers will be serving in a leadership capacity at the Disaster Operations Center located in the National Headquarters in Washington DC. Albert Chan in Client Case work and Eleanor Guzik in support of individual health related needs.
- Jim and Carol Rogers, chapter volunteers extraordinaire, departed this morning in the Emergency Response Vehicle (ERV) and will be deployed to critically affected areas to assist with the needs of the communities in the hurricanes path.
- Our Disaster Kitchen (ability to serve 5,000 meals per day) has been prepared in case it is deployed and it is only one of three in the entire country.
- If anyone would like to support Red Cross efforts in the disaster response, Red Cross will be holding training sessions next week so that you can volunteer to help. We will advise early next week when and where these classes will be held.
- 217,000 people will be evacuated and some of them may be arriving in our County. If you would like to be trained to support that effort, please also contact the Red Cross.
For immediate comments on this matter, please contact Chief Executive Officer, Chris Johnson at 805-585-9951.
For more information, call the American Red Cross of Ventura County at 805-339-2234.