[EDITOR’S NOTE: To arrange an interview with Kay Wilkins, chief executive officer of the Southeast Louisiana chapter of the Red Cross, call Michelle Hebert at 504-915-9096.]
The American Red Cross is delivering hundreds of cleanup kits to central locations in Terrebonne Parish, where residents of hurricane impacted areas are working to make their homes livable again. Supplies include such things as a mop, broom, bucket, gloves and bleach for disinfecting contaminated surfaces. These supplies are free, made possible by donations to the Red Cross disaster relief fund.
Saturday, Sept. 20, supplies are available at:
- Knights of Columbus, 5396 Shrimpers Row, Dulac
- St. Eloi Church, 1335 Bayou DuLarge, Theriot
- Sacred Heart Church, 1111 Highway 55, Montegut
- St. Joseph Church, 5232 Highway 56, Chauvin
- Holy Rosary Church, 8594 Main St., Houma
Red Cross emergency feeding efforts are focused on bayou areas where residents need food due to flooding and/or power outages. Red Cross mobile routes and fixed feeding sites will be adjusted daily to meet local needs.
On Saturday, Sept. 20, Red Cross workers will have hot food and snacks at:
- Lafitte Senior Center, Lafitte (evening only)
- St. Pius Church, 8151 Barataria Blvd., Crown Point
- Larose Civic Center, 307 E. 5th St. (Highway 1), Larose
- First Baptist Church, Highway 1, Golden Meadow
- Grand Caillou Baptist Church, off Highway 57, toward Dulac
- Knights of Columbus, Highway 665, Point-Aux-Chenes
- Montegut Recreation Center, 107 Recreation Drive (Highway 55), Montegut
- Ward 7 Citizens Club, 5006 Highway 56, Chauvin
Red Cross trucks will also be on the roads in Terrebonne Parish, delivering food to people in heavily-impacted areas along highways 55, 56, 57, 665 and 1.