American Red Cross Responding to Hurricane Gustav in Dallas/Fort Worth
- One Red Cross shelter is currently open in the Metroplex. The Samuel Grand shelter opened yesterday afternoon and is located at 6200 E. Grand Ave., in Dallas.
- 29 additional Red Cross shelters have been identified and are prepared to activate upon request from Emergency Management.
- Approximately 125 Red Cross employees and volunteers are currently responding to the Hurricane Gustav-related needs in DFW. Red Cross volunteers from across the country are deploying to areas being affected by Hurricane Gustav. Several of those volunteers will be assigned to response in the DFW area.
- On Saturday, August 30, over 200 volunteers were trained in DFW in Mass Care and Shelter Operations.
- An additional training opportunity is available on Sunday, August 31, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. for any individuals interested in becoming Red Cross volunteers. Classes are available in both Dallas and Fort Worth. To register for the “Shelter Boot Camp”, please call (214) 678-4800 in the Dallas area, or (817) 336-8718 in the Fort Worth area. Interested volunteers can also visit www.redcrossdfw.org, select your local chapter and download a volunteer application.
Emily Getzschman, 817-335-9137